Life at CEU is an experience of a lifetime that any Escolarian will always remember with fondness. This Covid 19 pandemic only pigeonholes the experience but through the years, CEU continues to empower and inspire everyone. The classroom setting may have turned digital and student activities and other transactions in the University are conducted online but the excitement remains high as proven by the active involvement of everyone.
I wish all of you, especially the freshman students, a safe and healthy passage to a new school year of engagement that contributes to the attainment of the University goals and individual aspirations. On this note I would like to emphasize the urgency of following the health protocols laid down by the University and the inescapable reliance on technology, the internet in particular.
Hence, I would like to remind everyone to be mindful of their activities online. It is a common knowledge that the internet has somewhat become a double-edged sword: while it carries vast knowledge and may be used to help, the internet also carries false information and may be used to harm others. Always be careful with your personal information and passwords. Be vigilant against online fraud.
Lastly, keep in mind that the University, whenever it deems fit under the applicable rules and policies, will take cognizance of and give due course to issues, concerns and complaints involving violations of the same whether committed online or offline. The CEU Handbook, Life at CEU serves as your guide in making an experience of a lifetime happen.
Thank you very much.
Dr. Carlito B. Olaer
VP for Student Affairs
STUDENT HANDBOOK: Life at CEU
Committed to realize its vision and mission, the Student Affairs Office in partnership with Student Support Services, the University Student Councils, University-wide organizations and school/college/department based student councils and organizations, empowers the students to pursue their goals toward total development and self-actualization by providing them relevant programs, activities and opportunities that will strengthen their formation based on the University’s philosophy, Science and Virtue.
Get inspired! Get involved!
USC Leadership Congress
EKamustahan of USC and School Council
School of Accountancy and Management
School of Dentistry
School of Education-Liberal Arts-Music-Social Work
Student Participation in National and Global Activities
Mental Health Webinars
University Recognition Day
- Mass of the Holy Spirit (invoking the Holy Spirit for the Opening of SY 2021-2022 on August 6, 2021, 9am)
- Eucharistic Celebration (online mass every Wednesday and Friday and Sunday anticipated every Saturday at 5pm)
- Baccalaureate Masses on July 2022
- Mass in honor of CEU’s patron Saint - the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception in Dec 2022
- Foundation Day Mass on June 3, 2022
- Special Masses
Birth Anniversaries of Past and Current University Administrators
Doña Librada Avelino, 1st President - January 17, 1873
and Directress, First Board of Directors
Doña Carmen de Luna, co-founder and 2nd President - July 16, 1873
Doña Pilar Hidalgo Lim, 3rd President - May 24, 1893
Dr. Dionisio Tiongco, 4th President - December 26, 1909
Dr. Lourdes Echauz, 5th President - July 19, 1915
and Chair, Board of Directors
Dr. Emilio T. Yap, Chair, Board of Directors - September 24, 1925
Doña Generosa de Leon, Registrar and Comptroller - July 17, 1892
Doña Concepción Aguila, First Dean, Graduate School - September 11, 1894
Dr. Rosita L. Navarro, 6th President - January 12, 1941
Dr. Ma. Cristina D. Padolina, (current) 7th President - April 9, 1946
and Chief Academic Officer
Non- Liturgical Activities
- Life Reflection - an avenue to share daily life reflection of CEU Community and CEU Alumni uploaded in the University Ministry Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ceu.um.chapel/
- Daily Bible Verse - an inspiring daily bible verse uploaded in Facebook
- Sunday with the Word of God - a path to bring God’s word to CEU community. These are the readings for Sunday with the reflection of the University Chaplain . This is well participated in by different departments, schools and colleges. This is uploaded in UM Facebook page and youtube channel link for Sunday with the Word of God. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI_e80-9aSXy6YxZB4jAbiQ
- Life History of the Past Administrators - in commemoration of their contribution to the institution, a short life history of past administrators is shared and integrated in the Sunday with the word of God as a special episode. This is in coordination with CEU Alumni.
-Student Recollection in May, November & December 2022
-Faculty and Non-teaching Recollections in March 2022
Faith Day: A Celebration of Diversity of Faith in June 2022
- Interfaith Seminar - to be participated by CEU Interfaith Core Group
- Virtual Songs and Worship - to be participated by Interfaith Core group and Representative from Different Religious Sector
Mass of the Holy Spirit
Daily Bible Verse
Life History of the Past Administrators
GCD other Activities
- Realtalk #EscolarianCovidACT Adapting, Coping, Thriving in the Now Normal ( May 14, 2021)
- GCD/GCS Online Group Guidance Activity: “What’s in Your Bubble? Managing Your E-motions” (May 15, 2021)
- Conduct Research on Well-being
- Providing Mental Health Tips to students
- Routine Interviews with all freshmen students
- Online counseling of students (GASWAD)
- Guidance Assistance to Students with Academic Deficiencies
- Online group Guidance activities
- Conduct of Relevant Webinars
University Wide Organizations
American Society of Microbiology- CEU Student Chapter (Manila)
- It is an International Student Chapter that aims to solve some of the world’s most pressing issues such as health, food security, and climate change that require scientific research.
Community Outreach Movement Pro-Active Students Service (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Community Outreach Movement Pro-Active Students Service (COMPASS) was established in 1998 to develop and fortify the students’ spirit of volunteerism in the University Community Outreach Program by inculcating social responsibility among the members, and having partnership with the University Social Responsibility Program to produce globally competitive, disciplined and socially engaged students.
Dramatic Guild (Manila/Makati)
- The Dramatic Guild is the only theatre-based organization in the University. It promotes cultural awareness and art appreciation by mounting socially relevant, timely and value-laden productions. The Guild conducts a yearly season of productions, workshop in acting, directing, production, and stage management.
English Guild (Manila)
- The English Guild is a student-based organization that aims to provide additional opportunities to students to enhance their English proficiency through its four sub-guilds, namely, writers' guild, speakers' guild, readers' guild, and grammarians' guild.
- Established in May 2006, the English Guild aims to provide venues for the use of the language in the different skills of reading, writing, speaking and grammar through the various activities of the guild; produce exceptional leaders and students who are proficient in oral and written communication skills serving as models in communication in classrooms and university-wide activities and off-campus events; help members identify their strengths and weaknesses in English communication through training and seminars; and offer peer tutoring service in English to students who need assistance.
Honors Society (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Honors Society is an organization of all Academic, University Memorial and USPEP scholars, President’s and Deans’ Listers, and Recipients of Grants of the University. Its philosophy is “Vixi et Mico in Decus” (to live and serve in honor). It aims to promote the welfare and best interest of the scholars of CEU and the utmost development of the students’ potential and worth; to underscore a broad understanding of the role of the students both as academicians and students; and to set good examples to the students towards virtuous ends.
International Students Association (Manila)
- The International Students Association (ISA) is a recognized student organization at Centro Escolar University. The main aim of ISA is to provide international students with the opportunity to experience and appreciate different cultures and promote international friendship.
Mathematics Club (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The CEU Mathematics Club is an organization that brings together students from all educational disciplines that have an intrinsic interest in Mathematics. It aims to develop students’ analytical and critical thinking skills through participation in the activities that would harness students’ growth.
Oratorical and Debate Society (Manila)
- The Oratorical and Debate Society (ORADES) was Established in 2013. It aims to advance the interest and welfare of the students in preserving their rights through oratorical and debate activities. It trains students in different forms of presenting oneself with confidence in the varying forms and kinds of speeches and debate.
Peer Facilitators Club (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Peer Facilitators Clubis an organization for all interested students who have passion in caring for others. It is organized to train these students on how to handle conflicts among them, to initiate means of expression for the betterment of the studentry, and to provide a network for interaction between and among students of CEU and the internal and external public of the University as it gears towards forming inter-collegiate and partnerships in creating harmonious relationships, promoting awareness of vital issues and valuable persuasive campaigns.
Photographers Club (Manila/Makati)
- The Photographers Club was established in 2007. Guided and inspired by the University’s maxim “Ciencia y Virtud,” its objectives include: helping students gain further knowledge and skills in photography through seminars, conferences, and workshops encouraging students to showcase their talents by organizing photo contests and exhibits in CEU and by joining competitions outside CEU.
Red Cross Youth (Manila/Makati)
- The Red Cross Youth is an organization of students with special interest in the welfare of the youth by providing opportunities in youth leadership and humanitarian service. It is affiliated with the Philippine Red Cross, with its mission to direct and harness the energy and idealism of the youth, and inculcate in them the humanitarian values, instill in them the practice of a healthy lifestyle, enhance youth leadership through service delivery, and advocate national or international friendship.
Science Club (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Science Club is an organization open to all bona fide CEU students. It aims to promote the interest in understanding the biological and physical sciences. The Science Club is engaged in worthwhile activities which develop environmental awareness, inculcate scientific passion and proliferation, and embody holistic characteristics of a future scientist.
Social Sciences Society (Manila)
- The Social Sciences Society(SSS) was founded in 2007 by the efforts of the students who wanted to get involved with issues concerning national interest. The society aims to be a leading organization with relevant knowledge and values on the tenets of the Social Sciences engendered with discipline, integrity and respect for the full realization of social awareness and responsibility for national development.
Student Catholic Action (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Student Catholic Action is otherwise known as the CEU-SCA. This religious organization seeks to help build a true Catholic community by promoting the Catholic Faith, setting good examples for the CEU students towards virtuous ends, rendering apostolic service to the school and community, and coordinating with the Campus Ministry, Chaplaincy and the Archdiocese of Manila in pursuit of the goals of the Catholic Church.
Teatro Escolar Malolos (Malolos)
- The Teatro Escolar Malolosemphasizes its setting, CEU Malolos, and adopted the name Teatro Escolar Malolos for its theatre-based organization. It serves as a training ground for students to actively participate in numerous worthwhile productions to hone their dramatic talents as well as their total personality development through a series of theatre experiences.
ACCOUNTANCY AND MANAGEMENT
- Association of Business Administration Students (Manila)
- The Association of Business Administration Students (ABAS) is aimed at promoting and strengthening involvement in academics, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities related to business and its essential business tools. It initiates activities and programs that promote the practical application of theories and practices and develop civic consciousness and social responsibility.
- Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants (Manila/Malolos)
- The Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants(JPIA) is a unifying organization that seeks to create an academic atmosphere conducive to the educational advancement of students in the field of accountancy. It sponsors activities that provide exposure of students to the actual practice of accounting in business life, as well as develop civic consciousness and discipline among its members.
- Management Students Association (Makati/Malolos)
- The Management Students Association (MASA) is an organization of bona fide management students in CEU. It seeks to promote management as a major field of study and as an important area in business or profession. It initiates activities and programs that promote practical application of management theories and practices, and develop civic consciousness and social responsibility.
- Dental Clinicians Club (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Dental Clinicians Club (DCC) is an organization of Junior and Senior Dentistry students. It represents the rights and interests of the clinicians and aims to develop each of their full potential as a person and as a future professional.
- Association of Dentistry Students in the Philippines (Manila)
- The Association of Dentistry Students in the Philippines (ADSP) aims to develop globally competitive and socially-engaged dentistry students through involvement in diverse student activities.ADSP coordinates with various dental agencies to form linkages and to support the organization’s vision and mission.
- Philippine Dental Students Association (Makati/Malolos)
- The Philippine Dental Students Association (PDSA) aims to prepare dental students to meet the social, cultural, ethical, and scientific obligations of the dental profession in the local, national, and international setting. It works in cooperation with other dental schools and associations in the improvement of dental art and science. It also forms linkages with different dental agencies in elevating the standards of dental education in the Philippines.
EDUCATION, LIBERAL ARTS, MUSIC, SOCIAL WORK
- Communication Arts Society (Manila/Malolos)
- The Communication Arts Society (CommASoc) is an organization for all students taking up Communication and Media. It is organized to initiate freedom of expression and change for the betterment of the students taking the course and the internal and external public of the university. It gears towards forming inter-collegiate and multi-sectoral partnerships in creating communication messages and programs and promoting media education, awareness of vital issues, valuable persuasive campaigns and public service announcements through multimedia.
- Junior Social Work Association of the Philippines - CEU Chapter (Manila)
- The Junior Social Work Association of the Philippines (JSWAP) is anorganization for the Social Work students of the School of Education, Liberal Arts, Music, Social Work. It was formed to uphold the values, principles, and philosophy of Social Work. It creates venue where students can present their needs and concerns regarding Social Work education, promote alternative means in response to the problems presented and integrate networking, fellowship programs, and other related activities.
- CEU Educators Rising (Manila/Malolos)
- The CEU Educators Rising is an organization for Education students. Its name is patterned from its mother organization based in the United States of America. The organization specifically aims to cultivate the growth in knowledge, values, and skills of future educators; encourage students to explore teaching as a profession; coordinate and disseminate information about teaching as a profession, employment opportunities, financial assistance options, and education and licensure issues.
- Conservatory of Music Students Association (Manila)
- The Conservatory of Music Students Association (COMSA) is organized to support the Music Program of the University by attending to the interest and welfare of the Music students; by representing the students where their interests are developed; by initiating and encouraging students’ cooperation and participation in school activities; by organizing activities related to national development; and by promoting student-centered activities that benefit the Music students.
- Philippine Society of Medical Technology Students (Manila/Makati)
- The Philippine Society of Medical Technology Students (PHISMETS) is a school-based organization that aims to establish a central body that coordinates all activities and ensures the growth and development of all Medical Technology students.
- Medical Students Society (Manila)
- The Medical Students Society (MedSSoc) is anorganization for CEU Medical students who are globally competent, socially accountable, and proactively working together towards contributing to health development in the service of the Filipino people.
NUTRITION AND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Association of Hotel and Restaurant Management Students (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Association of Hotel and Restaurant Management Students (AHRMS) is an organization of Hotel and Restaurant Management students. It aims to support the University in its efforts to upgrade and maintain a high standard of instruction in Hotel and Restaurant Administration and other related courses.
- Association of Tourism Students (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Association of Tourism Students (ATS) is an organization for students taking Bachelor of Science in International Tourism and majoring in Travel Management in CEU. It aims to maintain the high standards of instruction in International Tourism and Travel Management.
- Philippine Association of Nutrition-Delta Chapter (Manila)
- The Philippine Association of Nutrition-Delta Chapter (PAN-Delta) is the organization of the Nutrition and Dietetics majors in CEU. It aims to initiate and implement projects directed toward the development of the foods, nutrition, and dietetics discipline and to contribute to the attainment of proper nutrition of the Filipinos.
- Philippine Nursing Research Society - CEU Cell (Manila)
- The Philippine Nursing Research Society - CEU Cell (PNRS) is in creating a community of student nurses interested in promoting and supporting quality nursing research and development. It aims to promote the development of the knowledge, skills, and attitude of the students; to train them to become innovative, competitive, productive, and responsible professionals; to use of critical thinking and clinical reasoning; and to provide evidence-based practice in the field of research.
- Optometry Clinicians Club (Manila)
- The Optometry Clinicians Club is an organization open to the third to sixth-year students of the School of Optometry. It serves as a tool for the realization of vision care principles. It aims to promote the clinician’s welfare and unity among fellow clinicians, between clinicians and clinic instructors and the clinic teachers.
- Junior Philippine Pharmacists Association (JPPhA) - CEU Beta Chapter (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Junior Philippine Pharmacists Association - CEU Beta Chapter (JPPhA) is an organization of Pharmacy students in CEU. It gained university recognition in 1996. Its objectives include promoting educational advancement in the field of Pharmacy education and administration, and providing students with gradual exposure to the actual practice of different specializations in Pharmacy. It is a member of the Federation of Junior Chapter, Philippine Pharmaceutical Association (FJCPPhA).
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Junior Philippine Computer Society (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Junior Philippine Computer Society (JPCS) is a student organization involved in the fields of Computer Science and Information Technology. It aims to advance the interest and welfare of its members and encourage their cooperation and participation in school and university activities.
- Psychology Society (Manila/Makati/Malolos)
- The Psychology Society is an organization led by the BS Psychology students of the School of Science and Technology. It works closely with the Psychology Department in rendering psychology related services like organizing seminars/workshops/training. The organization establishes link with Psychology student societies of other universities and with professional organizations like the Psychological Association of the Philippines and the Philippine Mental Health Association. Affiliate membership is open to any CEU student interested in benefiting from the advances in the field of psychology.